Misbah has a friend with her own tattoo parlor. She loves to learn from her friend about the meanings of different tattoos.
Due to its beauty, traits, and mythological importance, the dolphin makes a popular tattoo that will never go out of style. Is everything said about dolphins true? What do dolphin tattoos represent?
Cultural Beliefs and Myths About Dolphins
Tales of dolphins guiding stranded people to land are common throughout all cultures (from China to Arabia.) These legends have proven to be accurate throughout time. Dolphins have an instinct to help stranded people, although it is undisclosed what motivates them.
There are several myths and stories about dolphins that are common around the world.
- Sumeria. The earliest tattoos were created over a thousand years ago and are said to have originated in ancient Sumeria, where dolphins were associated with Oannes, the sea god.
- Egypt. The dolphin symbol is also associated with Isis, an Egyptian goddess.
- The Celts believed that dolphins had water-healing qualities. Images and tattoos of people riding dolphins are trending now, but these images are most commonly seen in Celtic artifacts.
- Ancient Greeks believed that dolphins were messengers of the god of the sea, Poseidon.
- India. Additionally, dolpins have ties to Ganga, one of the Hindu goddesses.
- South America. According to several South American indigenous tribes, dolphins transformed from humans and served as special protectors of the tribe. The ancient inhabitants of the northern part of the continent believe dolphins are the reincarnations of drowned people.
The Meanings of Dolphin Tattoos
The meanings of dolphin tattoos vary by culture and time, but here are some of the most common symbolism associated with the beloved animal.
Dolphins are one of the most intelligent animals. Their brains contain many special characteristics that make them unique. They have a high potential for learning and knowledge.
Dolphins are very social and friendly animals. Many choose a dolphin tattoo either because they share or admire these traits.
Grace and Beauty
The dolphin is also a graceful and elegant creature, which might be why some people love to wear this tattoo. Many choose them simply because they find dolphin tattoos beautiful.
A Good Omen
Sailors see them as lucky symbols, guiding lost sailors home.
Peace and Nobility
The dolphin also denotes that the nobility of the individual. It may also indicate that the wearer is committed to peace, as dolphins are famously peaceful creatures.
Dolphins represent a fresh beginning, or leaving the past behind. The relationship these creatures have with their environments, especially the water they frequently symbolize, helps to strengthen this sense of renewal.
Some Popular Dolphin Tattoo Designs
You can design this tattoo in a variety of shapes and styles. Every design is different and has its own purpose and meaning. Some people love to add unique details to their tattoos to enhance their beauty and meaning.
A moon or lunar dolphin tattoo is for individuals who desire to discover their inner secret strength and use it to achieve their goals. This looks good and colorful, with a blend of blue and orange.
A dolphin tattoo depicted with the sun denotes health and renewal. It’s a tattoo design that signifies people being given a second opportunity following a career or health problem.
Dolphin Tattoo Behind Ear
A dolphin tattoo behind the ear, small and pretty, looks fantastic. With ear piercings, it looks super attractive and elegant. It's a beautiful tattoo idea that you can simply show off by tying your hair in a ponytail or a bun.
A heart-shaped tattoo with two dolphins kissing each other is one of the most popular dolphin tattoo designs. It symbolizes your love for your family or your partner.
The rose tattoo is undoubtedly one of the most popular tattoo designs. Combining the rose and the dolphin makes the tattoo visually pleasing and conveys the message of appreciation, love, beauty, and wisdom.
Dolphin With Music Note
This gorgeous tattoo design combines the dolphin and the music note wonderfully. Not only does it look terrific, but the music note also highlights the dolphin’s playfulness.
Dolphin Tattoo Design Inspiration Ideas
Here are some additional ideas to help you get inspired for your dolphin tattoo:
- Multicolored shiny dolphin tattoo: Go creative with your design. This elegant design looks pretty cool and eye-catching @minitatuajes
- Playful dolphin tattoo on the shoulder: Dolphins are playful creatures. How about this tattoo idea? - playful dolphin shoulder design
- Colorful dolphin tattoo: This colorful dolphin tattoo looks amazing and cute -Tattoomenow
- Dolphin tattoo idea for men: Here is an inspirational design for a dolphin tribal tattoo @te_kaya_ink
- Watercolor-style dolphin tattoo: Here's an idea to get a watercolor-style dolphin tattoo @memotriomtattoo
The dolphin tattoo has a lot of meanings, but each culture and individual will have their own interpretation. However, in today’s world, people like to have some art on their bodies to look attractive and stylish, and many people get tattoos without considering any culture and meanings.
- Dolphin Tattoos Meaning l Tattoos With Meaning l Tattoo SEO
- Dolphin Tattoos: Intelligence, Freedom, Grace, Freedom, And Friendship l Tattoo Art From the Heart
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Misbah Sheikh