Tattoo Ideas: Quotes on Life
After writing over two dozen hubs on tattoo ideas that showcased pictures as the majority of the content, I started noticing that a large portion of the comments were from people asking for ideas on what to say, not so much on how to say it. Like Lindsay, for example, who commented on the hub Tattoo Ideas: Words & Phrases, said: "I want some sort of latin script with a phrase having to do with karma." Or Jesso, who said: "I have a colourful fish on my left lower back, but next I want a script.. .. just what I don't know... something positive to remind me every day is mine, I am in control of my destiny."
The tricky thing about quote tattoos is that nine times out of ten, they can't be too long. Unless you have a huge expanse of skin that you plan on dedicating to the tat, like a forearm or your entire back, you're going to need to pick a quote that's short enough to fit in a small area. A few years ago, my girlfriend wanted to get something I had written tattooed on her in my handwriting. The quote she wanted was twenty-one words long, and she wanted it somewhere on her inner forearms. As she is already fairly heavily tattooed, she did not have the criteria of getting it on a place that could be easily hidden if need be. She's lucky. She ended up getting it running lengthwise down her arm next to the word GIRL that was already there. Most people don't have the same flexibility as her. Maybe your job is too professional for tattoos and piercings, or you don't want your mother to see it. If that's the case, then a quote tattoo can be challenging to find space for. And if you think you're going to fit an entire poem (unless it's a haiku) on your wrist by shrinking down the letters to a size 5 font, you're mistaken. Good tattoo artists will only let you make the lettering so small, because they know that tattoos blend, fade, and bleed over time. The smaller the font, the better the chance that you'll be left with a meaningless blob ten years down the road. So although there are millions of wonderful quotes about the beauty of love, I've tried to only assemble the ones that are on the shorter side, while still being meaningful.
I went back through all 2,000+ comments on my previous hubs and tried to identify the most common themes people requested when asking for help with quote ideas. In addition to being a voracious reader, I've been compiling quotes in notebooks and journals since I was thirteen. This article is second in a series broken down by category that started with Tattoo Ideas: Quotes on Strength, Adversity, Courage. Please, if you have any ideas or would like to share a favorite quote of yours, feel free to comment! The examples I've chosen for this particular article may not resonate with everyone. You might read it and get nothing out of it. But my hope is that something will resonate with someone, somewhere, and the words written here will inspire you to take a step you may not have taken otherwise.
Quotes—Love of Life and Living
- I was throbbing; it shook the bed. I was more alive than I could bear.
- Live to the point of tears.
- We do not remember the days, we remember the moments. -Pavese
- I beg you...to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Do not search for the answers, which could not be given you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer. -Rilke
- Nothing is worth more than this day. -Goethe
- The journey is the reward. -Tao saying
- Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. -Rumi
- Before I almost used to think there was something wrong. Everybody else seemed to have the brakes on. A scene in a movie, a voice, a phrase was not for them volcanic. I never feel the brakes. I overflow." -Anais Nin
- Love the life you live, don't live the life you love. -Chicago
- La vita e bella; la vita e amore. (Life is beautiful; life is love.) -Life is Beautiful
- Living well is the best revenge.
- Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour. And I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet. -Vanilla Sky
- Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around. -Vanilla Sky
- He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. -Friedrich Nietzsche
- He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for. -Moroccan Proverb
- Unbeing dead isn't being alive. -e.e. cummings