Tattoo Ideas: Quotes on Dreams, Hope, and Belief
After writing over two dozen articles on tattoo ideas that showcased pictures as the majority of the content, I started noticing that a large portion of the comments were from people asking for ideas on what to say, not so much on how to say it.
The tricky thing about quote tattoos is that nine times out of ten, they can't be too long. Unless you have a huge expanse of skin that you plan on dedicating to the tat like a forearm or your entire back, you're going to need to pick a quote that's short enough to fit in a small area.
A few years ago, my girlfriend wanted to get something I had written tattooed on her in my handwriting. The quote she wanted was 21 words long, and she wanted it somewhere on her inner forearms. As she is already fairly heavily tattooed, there was no criteria such as having to get it on a place that could be easily hidden if need be. She's lucky. She ended up getting it running lengthwise down her arm next to the word GIRL that was already there. Most people don't have the same flexibility as her.
Maybe your job is too professional for tattoos and piercings, or you don't want your mother to see it. If that's the case, then a quote tattoo can be challenging to find space for. And if you think you're going to fit an entire poem (unless it's a haiku) on your wrist by shrinking down the letters to a size 5 font, you're mistaken. Good tattoo artists will only let you make the lettering so small, because they know that tattoos blend, fade and bleed over time. The smaller the font, the better the chance that you'll be left with a meaningless blob ten years down the road. So although there are millions of wonderful quotes about the beauty of love, I've tried to only assemble the ones that are on the shorter side, while still being meaningful.
I went back through all 2,000+ comments on my previous articles and tried to identify the most common themes people requested when asking for help with quote ideas. In addition to being a voracious reader, I've been compiling quotes in notebooks and journals since I was 13.
Quotes About Dreams, Hope, and Belief
- All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream. — Edgar Allan Poe
- Believe there are no limits but the sky. — Cervantes
- Be the change you wish to see in the world. — Gandhi
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. — Eleanor Roosevelt
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined. — Thoreau
- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. — Unknown
- Doubt everything. Find your own light. — Buddha
- I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. —Vincent Van Gogh
- Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. — "The Lorax"
- The only thing that shatters dreams is compromise. — Richard Bach: "The Bridge Across Forever"
- Come away, O, human child! To the woods and waters wild with a fairy hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand. — W.B. Yeats
- This is the moment. When all the dreaming and scheming and screaming becomes one.
- Excellence can be obtained if you: care more than others think is wise; risk more than others think is safe; dream more than others think is practical; expect more than others think is possible.
- We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. — Arthur O' Shaughnessy
- You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith. — Mary Manin Morrissey
- If your dream is big enough, the facts don't count.
- Hope is the dream of a soul awake. — French proverb
- Dream the impossible dream, Fight the unbeatable foe, Strive with your last once of courage To reach the unreachable star.
- Believe in your dreams and they may come true; believe in yourself and they will come true.