Tattoo Designs and Ideas For Men
An awesome tattoo on a guy can transform him from boy to man. Tattoos and men mix extremely well. Although, there are a few things men should consider when they get a tattoo.
Correct body placement of a tattoo on a man is very important. Use a tattoo to highlight and draw attention to a feature of your body rather than putting your tattoo just anywhere.
For some reason, most men skip the research part of getting a tattoo. That research usually comes after the tattoo. sometimes when its too late.
Put some thought into your new tattoo, where you're going to put it and the design you want. Collect some pictures as a reference to show the tattoo artist.
Once you've decided on a your design style contact a reputable tattoo artist that works in your chosen style. Research your chosen artists past work, or ask to see his tattoo portfolio. Do not go to the guy down the road who does tattoos for cheap in his kitchen. Theres a good chance he got his tattoo machine off eBay, and in all likeliness his tattoo skills also.
You only get one go at getting a good tattoo. Mistakes are not an option.
Common Places for Men to Get Tattoos
Tattoos that are put anywhere on the body without regard for the bodies natural flow, can look odd and out of place. A bit of thought needs to go into choosing where on your body you are going to get your tattoo.
Choose a place you can see your tattoo. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to see your new piece of body art. Put your tattoo on a body part you like, as your tattoo will draw attention to that particular area of your body.
Consider your future employment. Can you get away with visible tattoos on your necklines, cuffs or forearms? Will your career path change course over the years? Don't limit yourself with tattoos in the wrong places.
Usually hands, neck and face tattoos are only done on heavily tattooed people. Although nowadays, there is a trend to be extreme and to have tattoos in 'job stopping' locations. Never get a tattoo in those locations unless you're 100% sure.
If you need a reality check, ask your mother!
Areas of the male body that are ideal for a first tattoo
- Back calves
- Shoulder blade (hard to see the tattoo)
After Shock Tattoo Aftercare Box Set
Purchase a quality tattoo aftercare box set. Aftershock tattoo products are designed for every stage of the tattoo healing process. Containing every product you'll need including; antibacterial wash and exfoliating gel.
Premium Tattoo Aftercare Box
Popular Male Tattoo Styles
- Bio mechanical
- Animals e.g. wolf, eagle, shark
- Vintage flash
- and many more.
What type of tattoo style did you end up getting tattooed? Write your answer in the comments section at the very bottom of this page.
Tattoos Men Should Not Get
There are always exceptions to any rule, as a general guideline men should avoid the following tattoos:
- Feminine tattoos like fairies.
- Flower tattoos. An exception to particular styles of flower like the Japanese lotus.
- Your partner's name (male or female). If you have to include a partner, consider a symbolic representation of them or just their initials rather than their name. You'll probably thank me one day!
- Tattoos of male or female private parts.
Common Mistakes Men Make When Getting a Tattoo
Below are some of the things that get men into trouble when getting a tattoo:
- Not abstaining from drinking the night before. In other words you should not drink alcohol the night before you get a tattoo as it thins the blood and affects the healing process.
- The male ego can often be responsible for excessive sitting times. Fire hours is an average, healthy sitting time. Overworking a tattoo can rip the skin apart and damage a tattoo, no matter how tough you are.
- Personal hygiene, both when getting the tattoo and in the time afterwards.
- Dirty bed sheets that touch your tattoo while you sleep.
- Little to no tattoo aftercare.
- Excessive body hair regrowing back after being shaved. The reason you are shaved before your tattoo is to remove bacteria that often becomes trapped within body hair. It also makes a smoother canvas for the Tattoo Artist.
Is this your first tattoo?See results without voting
Tattoos Nobody Should Get
As much as we like to believe that tattoos are widely accepted and no matter how much of a self expression of oneself tattoos can be, there are certain tattoos that are plain wrong!
If you value being an active and accepted member of society, for however many years you have left, think long and hard about getting these types of tattoos;
Racially discriminatory tattoos.
There is a huge difference between a racially, discriminatory tattoo and a tattoo that embraces your beliefs. If you must get one, consider blending it into your design, not making it a plain out and right insult. It will make your life harder in the long run.
Especially those that shake their booties or boobs when you wiggle your muscles, or jiggle your underarm.
Tattoos that put women down.
This one is self explanatory.
Tattoos intended as an insult to any group on this earth.
You may also find yourself in legal hot water in some countries.
Some facial tattoos
Not many of those who have a facial tattoo have no regrets. A facial tattoo is something you can never easily hide. It is always best to always leave yourself the option to cover up all your tattoos, with clothing.
Looking After A New Tattoo
Looking after yourself and your new tattoo for the next few weeks is extremely important.
- Avoid big benders while your tattoo is healing.
- No rough activities or events. If you play a contact sport, take at least two weeks off to heal.
- Follow appropriate aftercare advice.
- Purchase appropriate aftercare cream.
- Consider wrapping your tattooif it's potentially going to get damaged.
Basic Tattoo Aftercare
Men, make sure you look after your tattoo once you get home. Poor aftercare can lead to damage to your tattoo and another tattoo session. That potentially can equal paying a lot more money.
Basic tattoo aftercare
- Wash your tattoo thoroughly with antibacterial tattoo wash when you get home from your tattoo session.
- Leave to air dry.
- Apply tattoo aftercare cream sparingly.
- Wash your new tattoo three to five times a day for the first three days.
- Apply tattoo aftercare cream as advised.
- My New Tattoo is Itchy - Can I Scratch It?
Have you got an itch in your new tattoo that you're just dying to scratch? New tattoo driving you nuts with itchiness. Hold out just that bit longer and make and informed scratch.
More by this Author
A selection of fifty of the best tattoo quotes available.
Tattoo ideas for your very first tattoo. Information you need to know before you get to the tattoo studio.
Find out how much getting a tattoo can cost. Know what determines the average price of a tattoo.