Sword and Dagger Tattoo Designs and Meanings
Sword or Dagger Tattoo Designs
The sword is one of the oldest and most well-known symbols in the world. Swords have been around for thousands of years, nearly as long as man. They have always been very popular as a tattoo, especially in Asian cultures where swords play a vital role in cultural history. It has been a longtime symbol of warriors, knights, ninjas, and samurai.
Swords come in a variety of different sizes, shapes, and colors, and so do these tattoos. The design possibilities are endless. You and your tattoo artist should be able to create a design that is unique, a perfect fit for your personality.
The sword is often accompanied by other elements like wings, hearts, and flames.
- The sword-and-heart tattoo often portrays a sword piercing through the heart. This is usually a representation of a broken heart, lost love, or betrayal. Or the sword might be inked in front of or beside the heart, representing protection or courage of the heart.
- The sword-and-wing design is also very popular and can be used to symbolize the ability to rise above danger or protection from your guardian angel.
- Flames on or surrounding the blade often represents Christianity and purity.
Sword Tattoo Meanings
Some meanings depend on other symbols that are portrayed with the sword, but here are a few associations:
Remember, in the end, your sword tattoo symbolizes what you want it to. Meaning also depends on what you use to decorate your sword tattoo with, such as jewels, flowers, ribbons, or words.
- The sword is considered to be a military emblem. You commonly find sword tattoos that are portrayed to represent bravery and courage in battle among soldiers.
- It can also be associated with Christianity. Some even consider the sword a symbol of Christ and twin swords are often inked as a crucifix.
- You'll also see them with snakes and dragons that wrap around the blade. Both these creatures can represent protection and also gives the sword a fierce look.
Be sure to look at all the designs that you can before you get inked!