Stingray Tattoo Design Ideas
Just like other animal tattoos, the stingray can hold symbolic meaning to those who have it. It is a popular choice in the Polynesian culture, but not considered to be a mainstream choice.
The most popular stingray designs are done as tribal tattoos. Someone may consider such a tattoo if they feel that they share traits or have a special connection with the stingray.
The stingray is a special creature and is excellent at hunting and outwitting other hunters. It can hide in the underwater sands (mainly from sharks)—it covers up with sand and lays still. Because of its ability to hide, the stingray can be a symbol of cleverness or protection.
As a design, the stingray can adapt to any color, size, or posture. Small ones may have little detail, but when done well, it still can be a stunning design. The bigger the stingray, the better.
Most stingray tattoos portray the stingray alone without a background. Personally, I think blue and black ink look good together along with light shades of blue. That combination really sets the black ink off, so I prefer a little light blue shading.
Tribal Stingray TattoosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Stingray Tattoo Meanings
Remember that, in the end, your tattoo represents what you want it to. In saying that, below are the meanings of the stingray tattoo.
Designs and Variations
- As you read above, tribal stingrays are one of the most popular options, but they can also be portrayed in a more realistic or cartoonish style.
- This tattoo could have a background that includes water, turtles, bubbles, starfish, octopus, fish, sharks, dolphins, seaweed, plants, or coral, but the stingray is usually portrayed alone.
- Stingray tattoos are usually done in black and gray ink, with appropriate shading to make the creature appear three-dimensional.
- Some may show the stingray using its poisonous barb. I have seen designs that show the stingray piercing a heart, which may be something to consider.
- Stingrays may also be in the background of a larger tattoo.
Before Getting Inked
There are a few things that you should remember before getting tattooed. Just as you are now, make sure that you take the time to do your research. Make sure you completely understand what your tattoo represents. Don't rush to get inked! If you are not completely sure, don't get it! If you're having second thoughts, give it more time. Those that rush to get tattooed usually have regrets about their decision later on down the road. You don't want to make this mistake. Take your time, do your research, and make sure you are completely sure about your choice.
Stingray Tattoo Designs
Would You Consider The Stingray Tattoo
© 2012 Richard Ricky Hale