Richard Hale is a tattoo enthusiast who studies and researches tattoo symbolism, meanings, and history.
Just like every snowflake is unique, so is every snowflake tattoo. These are very beautiful and when done correctly, they can be quite stunning.
In this article, I will discuss snowflake tattoo designs, including their various meanings. You will also have the chance to view a variety of different designs. In the end, I hope that you are able to find inspiration and ideas for your own tattoo.
Symbolism and Design
Snowflakes can be decorative and make a great addition to other tattoos. With so many variations and designs out there, people can usually find a design that fits their style and personality.
- The primary symbol of the snowflake is uniqueness. When you look at snow from a distance, it looks like a massive blanket. On closer inspection, though, you find that it's made up of many entirely unique flakes. They all have different patterns and measurements. Thus, the snowflake can be a symbol of one's individuality.
- Snowflakes are delicate and short-lived, and can, therefore, represent fragility and the fleeting nature of life.
- When we see snow falling from the sky, we are instantly reminded of the winter holidays. In modern times, the snowflake is a symbol of Christmas and Christ's birth.
- There is something special about the way a snowflake descends from the heavens, making it a symbol of grace.
- Unlike rain, snow is a perfect example of quietness, as it makes no noise falling from the sky.
- Their shape makes them a prime example of divine beauty in nature.
- The snowflake can be a symbol of rebirth. Snow makes the earth look clean and fresh. This is why snowflakes can also be a symbol of purity. When it melts, it's transformed into water, making it a suitable symbol for transformation and new beginnings.
Snowflakes can be designed in color, usually in hues of blue and purple, or in solid black ink. They can also be done in a tribal or Celtic style. The Celtic snowflake is a real eye-catcher and may symbolize the circle of life or life in general.
In most cases, the snowflake is a positive symbol. Although these meanings can be applied to the snowflake tattoo, remember, your tattoo ultimately represents what you want it to. That said, below are some common meanings:
Since the snowflake can be drawn small or large, it can be placed nearly anywhere you want. They are commonly designed with trail art, which gives the image the appearance of movement. The trail art makes the tattoo stand out. Since they are associated with winter, the sky, and beauty, they can be paired with stars, trees, birds, fairies, or even butterflies. They can make a great addition to an already-existing tattoo. Just make sure that you take the time to look at different designs and ponder your choice carefully.
© 2012 Richard Ricky Hale
jamesnielsen0901 on May 30, 2018:
I have a large set of snowflakes across my abdomen and am happily reminded of winter, solitude, and nature when I see them. Will probably add to my collection of snowflakes in the future once I decide on placement.
Gramma on July 29, 2017:
I love the snowflake tattoos and will be getting 3 swirling flakes to symbolize my grandchildren. All 3 unique, precious gifts from heaven and treasured for my eternity.
Mark on November 20, 2016:
Myasthenia Gravis disease known as the snowflake disease symptoms and treatments are very individual thus known as the snowflake disease
Alex on October 30, 2014:
Fun fact, Snowflake tattoos also represent white supremacists. Think twice before getting one lol
BeyondMax from Sydney, Australia on August 08, 2012:
How beautiful! I remember that my first understanding of mortality came from holding a snowflake. I think I was about three years old and looking at the 'caught snow miracle prize' turning into drop of water in my little hand left me in a crying fit for the dead snowflake...
Gypsy Rose Lee from Daytona Beach, Florida on August 07, 2012:
These are interesting and bring on chills thinking of snow.
b. Malin on August 06, 2012:
How Neat these "Snowflake" Tattoos are, Lyric. From the Large ones, to the small ones, they are Terrific. I personally like the "Foot Snowflake", as well as the behind the Ear one, very subtle.
Frank Atanacio from Shelton on August 06, 2012:
you know the lyricwriter the smaller flakes I really like voted awesome man...:)
Life Under Construction from Neverland on August 06, 2012:
wow.. what a great idea. a snowflake. amazing right? and so mysterious and beautiful.
Carly Sullens from St. Louis, Missouri on August 05, 2012:
Wow, I never thought of a snowflake tattoo, nor saw one. I love the symbolism, and they are so beautiful and unique. Great symbol to consider for a tattoo.
Gail Sobotkin from South Carolina on August 05, 2012:
This is another great hub about tattoos and their meanings. The symbolism for snowflakes is so positive and I've always been fascinated by the fact that each snowflake is totally unique, as are these many tattoos of them.
As always, I love the fact that you've included so many photos.
Now that hot weather is here and people at the beach are dressed in shorts or bathing suits I see many different tattoos and I appreciate them more than I used to since I've been reading your series of hubs that explain the symbolism behind the art work.
Voted up across the board except for funny.