Sagittarius and the Archer
Sagittarians are proud, fiery people who tend to be tattoo lovers. If you're looking for some unique Sagittarius-themed tattoo ideas, you've come to the right place. As a Sagittarius myself, I've collected some images of centaurs and archers that can make beautiful tattoos.
In case you don't already know, Sagittarius is an astrological sign that applies to anyone born between November 22 and December 21. The symbol is the archer, but not just any archer—it's a centaur that is aiming their arrow up at the sky. A centaur has the upper body of a human and the lower body of a horse. Sagittarius can also be represented with a simple bow and arrow.
Sagittarius is a fire sign with traits that include passion, the ability to adapt to change, wildness, and a tendency to be unyielding.
Sagittarius Tattoo Design Considerations
First, think about what being a Sagittarius means to you and how you want to communicate that visually. Now, how large do you want the tattoo to be?
As you can see here, many centaur tattoos are of a larger size and are usually put on the back or bicep for spacing reasons. But that's just a start, as there's a wide and varied array of ways to show your Sagittarius pride with body ink.
- Going with the classic centaur archer as the prominent figure in your design is a tried-and-true way to get an impressively elaborate and detailed tattoo, such as in these two by @az_tattoo-studio and @braviluca.
- That archer doesn't have to be the typical bearded man, however, as many creative and powerful women archers can be seen in this gallery by @empowresoteric.
- You can even try something that still incorporates the centaur but does so in a more abstract way, such as in this colorful interpretation by @ido_botbol_tattoo or this hyper stylized one by @tattoolicious_hawaii.
- Or if you have a favorite centaur from a movie, such as The Chronicles of Narnia or Harry Potter, think about asking someone (unless you can do it yourself!) to draw that character on paper and then get it made it into a tattoo.
Bow and Arrow
If you're not as interested in the full centaur path, then maybe the simple bow and arrow design is more your thing.
- There's lots of elegant and minimal kinds out there, often with small aesthetic flourishes to add a bit of style, like this clean one by @sharonwolf_art that's set against a backdrop of a shining sun (or moon!) or this cute little wrist one by @alien_ink_trichy.
- Should you want to add a little spice without overcomplicating things, a well-placed moon commonly yields fantastic results, such as in this compact, but evocative piece by @cece_tattoo_artist.
- Of course, if simplicity isn't quite you, and you like to indulge in more ornate designs, then that's great too. There's an endless well of design capabilities for complex interpretations of the bow and arrow, such as this complicated, yet clear one by @antstattoo_may.
If you're more into the astro- part of astrology, perhaps a cleverly imagined depiction of the constellation is right up your alley.
- For the strict minimalists out there, you're more than welcome to just go with a bare-bones set of the stars, like this one by @hmactattoos.
- If you still like to keep it simple but also enjoy some light, yet tasteful garnishes here and there, then maybe the addition of some adorable flowers and leaves like in this one by @mariink.tattoos could be more to your liking.
Use Your Imagination!
Don't forget, you're not limited to just the main three symbols listed above! Feel free to experiment:
- Fiery flames emanating from the arrow's point or rising up from the ground that your centaur is walking on are great ways to represent the element of fire connected with the Sagittarius sign.
- You can even simply write out "Sagittarius" and incorporate your own image that you feel expresses your connection with the sign, such as these delightful dandelion seeds blowing away by @saeleeb.
- As mentioned earlier, adding a calming moon to your tattoo is pretty much always a good call. Your lunar friend doesn't only have to be an accompanying element, however, as you can even make her the star of the show or even the archer herself, like in this sparkly interpretation by @louisecolemantattoos.
Use your imagination to develop your own ideas! Good luck!
More Astrological Sign Tattoo Inspiration
- Western & Chinese Zodiac Astrology Tattoos: Meanings & Design Ideas
- Tattoo Ideas for Zodiac Signs: Taurus (Earth Sign)
- Aries Tattoo Ideas for Men and Women: Design Inspirations and Meanings
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on October 29, 2013:
Thanks so much!
ParadigmEnacted on October 29, 2013:
You seem to be right about that Sagittarian tattoo correspondence. Neptune there throughout the 70's, then joined by Uranus in the 80's with two passes by Jupiter in its own sign. These are the times when it started becoming common place and virtually these entire generations are enamored by it.
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on October 18, 2011:
Thanks, Maria! You rock.
Maria Jordan from Jeffersonville PA on October 18, 2011:
One of my favorite students' (a fabulous nurse is working on her BSN) hubby owns a tattoo parlor. Her arms (probably more!) are adorned with beautiful pictures of the Beatles, flowers... I would be way more modest and less exposed (she is so much younger).
I am wildly excited that you will be starting school in January! Persistance pays and you will be AMAZING...!
All my best, Maria
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on October 18, 2011:
Mar - Awesome! I had no idea we were both Sags! If you decide to get one I want to see a picture. :) And I am doing well...just got in actually. I start in January! Thanks!
Maria Jordan from Jeffersonville PA on October 17, 2011:
We share the same zodiac sign, kitty! I am bookmarking this, as I am hitting a mid-life crisis year. I am now considering one of these "smaller" models!
Hope you are doing well in your educational pursuits, mar.
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on October 09, 2011:
Lady_E - Yes, I agree...they probably took the tattoo artist quite some time. Thanks!
Elena from London, UK on October 09, 2011:
Nice Tattoo's, but they must take a while to do (for the detail).