Leaf Tattoo Designs, Ideas, and Meanings
Leaves as Life, Death, and Circle of Life Symbols
It is said that a single leaf is an ancient heraldic symbol that represents happiness. However, it can represent so much more than happiness. In fact, the leaf can represent a variety of aspects of one's life as it is a symbol of life. It can also represent death. In the spring, the leaves are born. In the summer, they continue to grow with shades of green. But then in the autumn, they reveal change in beautiful colors of orange, yellow, burgundy, and red. Eyecatching at first, the leaves then change to a brown color, only to fall to the ground in death.
It commonly represents the cycle of life. Because although the leaf dies, life goes on. Although we die as well, life will go on. We all go through cycles in life. Many men and women feel that this design can represent their life, how we all go through different stages. But just as it stands for death, it can also represent rebirth, as they will once again grow back in the spring.
How many of us have our ups and downs, trials, and tribulations? At one point, we're riding high, clear roads ahead. Even so, we travel only to see obstacles in our way, stopping our forward motion. The leaf design can similarly be associated with the constant changes in our life, reminding us that our journey comes with hard work.
Symbols can range from good and bad. Since each specific leaf has a meaning attached to it, the meanings can very between specific types. However, overall, it can represent any of the meanings listed below.
- Life's cycle
- New beginnings
Remember, in the end, it represents what you want it to.
Leaf tattoos can be designed in several different ways as a tattoo. It can portray the leaf with a variety of different elements and symbols.
- It can be portrayed with anything associated with it, such as trees or branches.
- Some have them as they are in the summer, while others like them in different colors of the autumn season.
- The design may also contain the leaf falling or blowing in the wind, or attached to a tree or branch.
- It can be just a single leaf or a group of leaves.
- It can be designed in several different sizes. Due to this, they can nearly be placed anywhere on the body.
- Someone that adores the autumn season may especially want to consider such a tattoo. The autumn season, when leaves are changing colors, has a magical feel. Autumn leaves are a symbol of beauty and change.
- The design can be done in Celtic art or tribal art.
- One of the most popular kinds is the maple leaf. The maple leaf is the national symbol of Canada. Anyone from Canada may want to consider this. This can be designed to look realistic or as the Canadian symbol. It can represent your pride and heritage for those of you that are from Canada or affiliated with the country.
Variations and Meanings
Specific leaves can hold their own symbolic meaning. Below, you can find the meanings of the oak leaf, olive leaf, and more.
- Olive: peace, security, victory
- Oak: strength, wisdom, faith, endurance
- Lotus: purity, beauty
- Aspen: respect, courage
- Bay: healing, care
- Ivy: friendship, trust
- Nettle: sting of death
- Dogwood: faith, hope, rebirth
There are several different ways that men and women make the leaf tattoo their own. Many incorporate symbols and elements that represent their own personality. For example, if you look at the designs in this article, you will notice that they portray a variety of different things. They are designed with butterflies, ladybugs, crosses, flowers, or even fairies.
- Make sure that you take the time to view all the different designs in this article. Not only will this give you an idea of what is available, but you may also be able to pick up a few ideas and inspiration for your own tattoo.
- Take the time to do research. Make sure that you completely understand what your tattoo represents and stands for. You don't want to find out later that it symbolizes something different then what you first thought.
Don't rush to get inked! So many men and women rush to get one impulsively and usually regret this later on down the road. If you are not completely sure, wait it out. Remember, you will sport this for the rest of your life.
Thanks for your visit!
What Colors Look Better On Leaf Tattoo Designs?
© 2012 Richard Ricky Hale