Laugh Now, Cry Later Tattoo Designs and Ideas
"Laugh Now, Cry Later" Tattoos
"Laugh now, cry later" tattoos portray two faces or two mask that have expressions that represent opposing or different emotions. This design is sometimes associated with gangs and referred to as a gang tattoo. Although may be true, the design can also reresent a lot more.
The term "laugh now, cry later" was made famous by rapper Ice Cube but the design is much older than he is. You might also call it a drama mask, or "the comedy and tragedy masks," "Sock and Buskin," or just theater masks, since you often see them depicted in old theaters. They may be quite old, in fact: The tragic face might be the muse Melpomene's and the happy one might represent the muse Thalia from Greek mythology.
Laugh now, cry later tattoos might represent the association of good and bad, but they have different interpretations and significance. For example, someone may choose one of these tattoos to represent mental illness, while someone else might use it to represent their theatrical experience. You just never know until you ask.
Is it a negative symbol?
It might be a symbol of the good and bad in a person. We all make mistakes, and no one is perfect. We sometimes choose the wrong path and situations may occur that affect us for the rest of our lives. Many people don't want to be reminded of the bad times, but it takes learning from these mistakes to grow as a person. This tattoo can be a reminder of the hardship you've overcome in your life, among many other things. On the other hand, it may be a good or positive situation that is represented.
Drama Mask Tattoo Designs
There are many different ways to design this tattoo. Here are some things to think about:
- The drama mask, or "laugh now, cry later" image, may also be called "smile now, cry later," since this is what the two faces are often doing. You can choose other seemingly opposite emotions, though: Anger and calm, for example, or the faces of a devil and a saint.
- You might include symbolic words or phrases or names to help augment or add significance.
- Mostly, you'll see two mask or two faces: One face is laughing and the other is designed with a frown and perhaps a tear. You might add a third face and emotion.
- You usually see these in black and gray, but any color could work.
- This design translates nicely in both cartoon or realistic style. You could do it in old-school, watercolor, or any other style, as well.
Laugh Now, Cry Later Tattoo Meanings
The drama masks tattoo can symbolize both positive and negative attributes. For example:
- Live Life
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Life's Meaning
Remember though, in the end, your tattoo represents what you want it to.
Before You Tattoo
Before you get your tattoo, there are a few things that you should always consider.
Just as you are now, make sure that you take the time to research your tattoo. Be sure to fully understand what it represents and stands for. You don't want to get inked and find out later that it symbolizes something different from what you first thought.
Browse through hundreds designs: the more, the better. Remember, you're planning to wear this for the rest of your life. Make sure you take the time to find a design that your sure to always like. You don't want to go through the process of cover ups and laser removal, trust me.