Brittany is a pop culture enthusiast! She loves writing about celebrities, TV shows, films, music, and more!
Getting a Harry Potter tattoo is something lots of fans decide to do. I’ve seen so many people with the dark mark, the Deathly Hallows symbol, lightning bolt scars, and the word “always” tattooed on them over the past few years. While these are all great ideas, there’s so much more to the Harry Potter universe that you can use for your body art, and there are tons of other, different ways to symbolise your love for Harry Potter.
Here are some fantastic, unique Harry Potter tattoo ideas and suggestions!
Harry Potter Tattoo Symbols
You can get something (a symbol or image) that’s loosely related to Rowling's series to signify your love for the books and movies without resorting to symbols that are too obvious... like a picture of Hedwig.
Symbolic tattoos are nice because they're almost like a secret. Maybe only other Harry Potter fans will understand the reference, and people who aren’t familiar with the books might just see it as some beautiful art work.
A symbolic tattoo is a good fail-safe in case you (heaven forbid!) ever grow out of your love of Harry Potter. If you stop loving the series but still have the tattoo, you might reinterpret a symbol and use it to represent something else, something that still has meaning for you.
Harry Potter Symbols That Make Great Tattoos:
- three stars (like the symbol at the top of every page)
- a wand (or a hand holding a wand) (makes a great finger tattoo!)
- a vial of potion (with a label describing it... or not!)
- a deathly hallows symbol
- a Marauder's Map
- a line of footprints (as seen on the Marauder's Map)
- 9¾ (the Hogwart's train platform number)
- a flying key
- Harry's glasses
- Harry's lightning bolt scar
I really like the idea of the stars from the book pages. It’s small and tasteful, and not easily recognisable as something from the Harry Potter universe, but other fans will get it straight away.
Even the tattoos of the wands aren’t specifically tied to the series (the elder wand is, of course, but non-Potter fans won’t recognise it, anyway); it could just be a wand that’s symbolic for magic or witches, etc.
The Marauder's Map footprints are nice, too. While fans will instantly relate them to The Prisoner of Azkaban book and movie, they aren’t immediately recognisable to the series.
Minimalist Harry Potter Tattoo Ideas
I really love minimalist tattoos in general; I love sparse colour, neat line work, and few details. If the minimalist look is your tattoo aesthetic, why not get a minimalist Harry Potter tattoo, too? You don’t have to get a full-colour replica of Hogwarts just because you want a Harry Potter tattoo.
- a simple line drawing of the deathly hallows symbol
- an outline of a patronus (yours or one from the series)
- an outline of Hogwarts (or any of the HP characters)
- a snitch... or a snitch's wings combined with another HP symbol
- any simple, artistic combination of any Harry Potter symbols (mix-and-match!)
Minimalist Harry Potter Tattoos:
Harry Potter Tattoos: Characters and Houses
I’ve gone over some of the more understated Harry Potter tattoo options, but why not show your love loud and proud with your favourite Harry Potter character, or Hogwarts house tattooed somewhere on you? There are some really great ideas out there for character and house art tattoos, and I’m sure you can find a way to represent your house or favourite character from the series.
Here are some great examples of Harry Potter characters and Hogwarts House tattoos:
- A Hogwarts crest (showing all four houses) in any color or style of your choice.
- The Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, or Slytherin house symbols. (Why not show off where you were sorted on your body with a beautiful tattoo? Just make sure you get officially sorted by JK Rowling on the Pottermore site, first!)
- A portrait of any Harry Potter character, done realistically or in a manga style. I also like the more quirky Pop Toy and Lego styles.
- A detailed portrait of your favorite creature (pixie, dementor, dragon, hippogriff, etc.).
Elaborate Harry Potter Tattoo Design Ideas
Why not go all out and get a full-colour, huge Harry Potter tattoo? You can go all the way with your idea and get some more elaborate artwork without it looking over-the-top or gaudy. There’s some really gorgeous Harry Potter tattoos that incorporate several ideas and concepts from the books and films, or maybe you just want to recreate your favourite artwork from the book, or perhaps your favourite scene.
- a portrait of Hedwig (with or without a delivery!)
- the Hogwarts castle (from any angle)
- the whole cover of your favorite Harry Potter book
- a goblet, time turner, remembrall, horcrux, or other magical device
Harry Potter Quotes to Use as Tattoos
Since the Harry Potter series wouldn’t exist without the books, it makes sense to get a Harry Potter quote tattoo. JK Rowling has a wonderful way with words, and there are some fantastic quotes and phrases from the books that would look fantastic as a tattoo.
Great Harry Potter Tattoo Quotes
- “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
- “There are all kinds of courage,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
- “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”
- "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."
- “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
- "When in doubt, go to the library."
- "Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself."
- "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
- “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
- "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
- “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
- “Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.”
- “Until the very end.”
- “Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.”
- “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
- “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.”
- “The ones that love us never really leave us.”
- “After all this time?”
- “All was well.”
© 2019 Brittany Brown
Brandi Goodman from Holland, MI on July 03, 2020:
Love this! Such great tattoo inspiration.