Flame and Fire Tattoo Meanings, Designs, and Ideas
Fire & Flame Tattoos
When mankind first made fire, it was a huge accomplishment and it changed destiny forever. Fire gave humans warmth in the cold and offered protection from other men and deadly animals. They could cook, clear brush and forest, and make tools. Fire gave light in the dark and became part of many religious ceremonies and rites. Fire played an elemental role in man's evolution.
Eye-catching fire and flame tattoos can represent an array of different things. In this article, you will learn about fire and flame tattoo meanings and design ideas and see lots of photos to inspire your next tattoo.
The Historical, Religious, and Mythological Symbolism of Fire & Flames
Fire and flames are mentioned in a variety of different myths and legends.
- In Greek mythology, Prometheus was known to have stolen the fire from the gods. Prometheus gave the fire to mortals, since Prometheus, who created humans out of mud, loved them more then the Olympian gods who had banished his family to Tartarus.
- The Phoenix is made out of flames and has the ability to reincarnate itself every 500 years from its own ashes. The flames on the Phoenix are said to symbolize transformation and rebirth. It also represents the circle of life, just as the sun.
- Fire and flames are also symbols of Christianity and hell. Hell is made up of fire and flames to torture those who sin and are cast there by God. It is said that those who end up in hell will be there to suffer for eternity.
- Fire is also a symbol of the Holy Ghost and might represent the burning bush that Moses saw.
Fire and Flame Tattoo Meanings and Interpretations
Below, you can find some of the meanings behind fire and flame tattoos:
- Holy Spirit
- The Sun
- Circle of Life
- Life Source
- Deadly or Transforming Heat
When we look at what fire and flames represent, we find that both are very diverse in associated meanings. Fire and flames can be used in positive manners, but they can also cause destruction and devastation of wide proportions. As you already know, fire and flames give off heat, which can give you warmth in the cold. It can also give us light in the dark. Fire can also be very destructive and can burn nearly anything down to ashes. Nearly anything that is in the path of the flames can be destroyed. Every year, wildfires destroy thousands of acres of land. Fires can claim buildings, homes, and also human life. When a fire is out of control, the results can be devastating.
Since there are so many diverse meanings of fire and flame tattoos, you really see a variety of different reasons why they are chosen as a tattoo. Most meanings depend on what tattoo symbol is portrayed with the fire and flames. For example alone, a heart represents love, but fire and flames on a heart tattoo might represent deep, burning passion and desire. Fire and flames have both positive and negative associations, therefore, meanings behind the tattoo can be either positive in nature or negative.
Design Options for Fire or Flame Tattoos
- Most importantly, these tattoos don't have to be red, orange, and yellow. You can choose to have your blaze inked in any color you choose. Blue and black are obvious and popular options, but I've seen other colors, too.
- A tattoo might be portrayed solely as flames, or sometimes with smoke.
- The flames can be designed with any other image or symbol and this will change its overall meaning.
- Flames and fire are often inked with skulls, dragons, phoenixes, crosses, demons, hearts, and barbed wire.
- Flames are a popular choice among bikers and can be associated to Harley Davidson Motorcycles.
- Fire and flames are commonly used in firefighter tattoos. Some may get a firefighter helmet tattooed with flames or get their logo or station number inked on.
- If you want flames put on any symbol, it can be done. The options are endless.
Before You Tattoo
It is very important to do research. You want to make sure that you fully understand what your tattoo represents and try to learn everything it might mean. Take your time and don't rush into getting inked. Make sure you are 100% confident in your choice.