Eye Tattoo Design Ideas and Meanings
Eye Tattoo Design Options
There are many different design variations to choose from, other than just a regular eye.
- Realistic or cartoon.
- Human, snake, goat, eagle, or cat eyes.
- One eye or many (like a spider or Argus-eyed).
- Open or shut; wide or squinted.
The Eye of Horus
The eye of Horus is an Egyptian hieroglyph, sometimes confused with the eye of Ra, only this eye belongs to the goddess Wadjet or Wedjat. It is the all-seeing eye of omniscience and a symbol of a god's or royal power and protection from evil and disease. It was depicted to protect royalty in the afterlife and to ward off illness.
Horus was a sky god and was often known as the god with the falcon head. The markings around a falcon's eye, including the "teardrop" marking below the eye, are visible in the symbol. One legend had it that Horus battled Seth over who would rule the throne. Horus, who had the left eye of the moon and the right eye of the sun, was victorious over Seth, but lost his left eye in the battle, but the god Troth was able to restore it.
What Does an Eye Tattoo Mean?
Eye tattoos, sported by both women and men, can hold great symbolic value to the wearer. Eyes have been symbolic elements for many different cultures throughout history.
- As in ancient Egypt, they have been a symbolism of Christianity and God. The "Eye of God" is said to represent God looking into the souls of the faithful. In this manner, the eye tattoo can represent the soul, faith, or Christianity.
- Many people have also heard of the "third eye" which represents intuition. It represents the eye of the soul and spiritual awareness.
- The eye can also represent prophesy and the ability to foretell the future.
- We all may have also heard the old saying, "I will keep a close eye on you." The eye can also symbolize supervision and protection.
Here are several different meanings that we find associated with the eye:
But keep in mind that your eye tattoo can represent what you want it to.
Before You Tattoo
There are some important things that you need to remember before you get any tattoo.
- Make sure that you take the time to research your design.
- Make sure that you completely understand what your choice represents and stands for before you follow through.
- Don't rush to get inked! If you are not sure, don't get tattooed. Many have regrets later on down the road. Don't make the same mistake.