Richard Hale is a tattoo enthusiast who studies and researches tattoo symbolism, meanings, and history.
Betta Fish Tattoos
Lots of people have and love betta fish. Also known as "Siamese fighting fish," bettas are known for both their beauty and their aggression. They are so territorial that they can't be kept in a tank with other bettas, and they thrive by themselves, but they often develop strong bonds with their caregivers, so they're not complete introverts. These little fish have lots of personality.
Since these fish come in a wide variety of colors and different fins styles and shapes in the wild, you have free rein where color and shape are concerned.
Betta Fish Tattoo Meanings
- Strong Will
Betta Fish Tattoo Design Ideas
Betta fish tattoos can be portrayed with many elements and symbols to augment their meaning and beauty.
- Go With an Asiatic Style: The betta fish is symbolic to Malaysia and Thailand. People in these countries often gambled on these fighting fish. In the wild, betta hunt all the time. When humans first started keeping them, there was a high interest in betta fish fighting. This is one reason that this tattoo might represent chance or luck.
- Choose Different Color Varieties: These fish come in an astonishing variety of colors and color combinations, and their fins can grow quite long, ruffled, and intricate, so the tattoo artist can have a lot of fun with this design.
- Add Other Elements: Since the betta fish is associated with Asian cultures, you may see them designed with koi fish or cherry blossoms.
- Plants Make Great Adornments: You also see them designed with water or plants.
- Think of Getting a Pair: These are solitary fish, so you usually see only one depicted in a tattoo. However, they do get together to mate, so you'll sometimes see a tattoo of two bettas doing a rare tango together.
Before You Tattoo
There are some very important things that you need to remember before you choose to get your betta fish tattoo (or any tattoo).
- Make sure that you take the time to research. Make sure that you fully understand what your tattoo represents and stands for before you find out too late.
- Don't rush to get inked! Those that do usually hate their tattoo later on down the road.
- If you are not completely sure about a design, don't get tattooed.
Richard Ricky Hale (author) from West Virginia on January 19, 2016:
Not a problem Amanda. I'm all for sharing the artist. I wish I had them all to be honest because I would give them their credit in a heartbeat. I've had issues with some claiming tattoos that are not their own as you can imagine. You're properly credited my dear. Appreciate you coming by, always cool to have artist coming by.
Amanda on December 09, 2015:
It would be cool if you gave credit to the artists, I'm the artist of the second betta on the hip. We all work hard to meet clients and leave a good impression, our artwork sells itself assuming we're good at our craft. That being said our work is like a caking card, if you're going to use an artists work to promote your own (your writing) source your info. Just a heads up, I've found too many of my images shared all over but my name is never referenced.
Amanda Lopez, vt
Richard Ricky Hale (author) from West Virginia on August 23, 2012:
Thank you all for your comments, time, ect. You all make me feel great and wonderful:) So much time between work and the children. I apologize, I try to stay up with everyone. KJ, thanks for that. I have to get a new email set up so I will get in touch with you soon. Kash, Frank, Alocsin, Alastar, Ruby, Snowdrops, Unknown, Teaches, Max, thank you all for your comments! Much apprecitive. Gypsy, thanks again for everything you have done! I can't never say it enough, it means a lot and was a very kind things for you too do:):)
BeyondMax from Sydney, Australia on August 23, 2012:
This one...is not gonna bite =) So colorful!
Dianna Mendez on August 21, 2012:
The purple fish is very pretty. It's a little big for my taste, but a simple small version would be perfect.
Life Under Construction from Neverland on August 20, 2012:
very beautiful designs again! i am so amazed.
Gypsy Rose Lee from Daytona Beach, Florida on August 20, 2012:
Colorful and great designs. Nice job as always. Hey Ricky your tattoos are getting pinned.
snowdrops from The Second Star to the Right on August 19, 2012:
wow!! those are beautiful! beta fish can be a great design
Alastar Packer from North Carolina on August 19, 2012:
This has got to be one of the most unique styles yet, Ricky. Off the mainstream for sure. Good advice about not getting a tat like this without some serious thought beforehand.
Ruby Jean Richert from Southern Illinois on August 19, 2012:
These are really colorful..Voted awesome..Thank's Ricky..
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on August 19, 2012:
I did not realize these tattoos were of a specific fish -- always thought they were goldfish. Voting this Up and Beautiful.Voting this Up and Beautiful.
Frank Atanacio from Shelton on August 19, 2012:
very nice pics first the hooks.. now the fish LOL great job thelyricwriter
Thomas Silvia from Massachusetts on August 19, 2012:
Hi my friend, very colorful tattoo designs, awesome and beautiful photos !
Vote up and more !!!
kjforce from Florida on August 18, 2012:
thelyricwriter...beautiful and soo colorful..another awesome job...can't figure why HP changed the profile pages as they did...firstname.lastname@example.org