Angel Tattoo Meanings and Designs
Angels make wonderful tattoos. There's a huge variety of designs and meanings to draw inspiration from, and angels usually have a deep emotional meaning for the wearer.
Variations of the Angel Tattoo
There are few designs that can match the beauty and meaning of angel tattoos. They usually carry a deep symbolic meaning for those who wear them. They can be worn for a variety of reasons and serve many different purposes. Angels are well known all across the world, and they are part of Christian, Islamic, Jewish, and other religious belief systems. All of these characteristics make the angel tattoo highly sought after and popular.
Most of us already know what angels are and what they represent.
- They are believed to be messengers from God.
- In fact, the word angel in Latin means "messenger of God."
- Angels have a variety of special talents, skills, and powers, such as the ability to travel from the heavens to earth and back.
- Angels are servants of God and represent everything good.
- Angels also protect the realm between heaven and earth.
- The most common association with the angel is protection. It is believed that they watch over us and to protect us from evil.
- Many people believe everyone has a guardian angel watching over us who is with us when we are born, through our life, during our death, and who guides us into the afterlife.
- Some angels were thrown out of heaven for their rebellious acts, and are known as fallen angels. They proudly served God in the beginning but were thrown out of heaven for their evil deeds and ways. They are a symbol of suffering, pain, and sadness.
When we look at angel tattoos, guardian and fallen angels are common choices amongst men and women. There are also a variety of other designs:
- Some people may choose a Cupid. Cupid is known as the "angel of love."
- Baby angels are another popular choice, especially for women.
- Besides fallen angels, some people choose to have a devilish angel.
There are many different ways to portray your angel in a tattoo. The options are endless, which is another reason it is so popular.
Since guardian angels are so popular, we will now take a closer look at them.
- In most designs, they are usually shown with a glow or shine of some type behind them.
- They are usually floating, but they can be grounded.
- They are always looking down or to the side in a protective manner.
- They can be male or female. Male guardian angels may be shown holding a sword or other weapons.
- Some designs show them defeating an evil angel or the devil.
The fallen angel is another common choice:
- It is usually shown looking up to the heavens as it remembers what once was.
- It can be shown looking down also.
- Some tattoos show the fallen angel on one knee with his head down.
- Some designs show it with its head tucked between its knees, sitting down.
- Others portray the angel with a broken wing.
- These tattoos don't always represent something negative. They can also represent rising above a troubled past or event.
What an Angel Symbolizes
A variety of meanings are associated with angel tattoos. Most depend on what kind of angel is being inked. Here are some ideas:
- Free Spirit
- Everything good
- Higher self
Angels also change meaning depending on the wearer. For example, on women, they are thought to represent serenity and calmness. On men, they may represent the higher self. In the end, the meaning of your tattoo represents what you want it to.
Wings are also a common design for both men and women. They can represent a free spirit, independence, or rising above struggle. They can be portrayed as just wings or they can be placed on a variety of different symbols, such as a cross, heart, lock and key, or halo.