Ace of Spades Tattoos: Designs, Ideas, and Meanings
History: Not Just a Game Card
The ace of spades has been symbolic of many things. The history behind it may be surprising to some. It is commonly known as the highest valued card, even though some card games give it a lesser value. Card games have been popular for hundreds of years—the origins date back to the 17th century. Many viewed it as a symbol of good luck and good fortune. However, the ace of spade has a dark past in American history.
The ace of spades card was also used during wars, most commonly in World War II and the Vietnam war. During WWII, American soldiers would paint it on their helmet for good luck. In fact, all four card suits were used to help identify the American soldiers, including the diamond, club, and heart. During the Vietnam war, it was used to strike fear in the Vietnamese. It wasn't uncommon for ace of spades cards to be placed on departed Vietnamese soldiers. In some cases, thousands of cards would be placed in fields—for the Vietnamese, the ace of spades symbolized death. As you can see, it was used as a psychological weapon.
Today, it can mean a variety of things. The ace of spades tattoo is commonly inked on gamblers, bikers, and gangs. It has many other associations throughout history. In this article, we'll discuss ace of spades tattoo designs and meanings. In the end, we hope that you're able to leave inspired and with ideas for your next tattoo.
An ace of spades tattoos can be designed in many different ways. It can be designed alone or portrayed with several other symbols and elements. Due to this, there's a variety ace of spades tattoos.
- The most common tattoo is the ace of spades playing card. This card can also be designed in many ways. Some designs portray a spade in the center of the card or a skull. They are also commonly shown with other playing cards, such as within a royal flush—this tattoo would include the K, Q, J, and 10 of spades. Other card combinations are also common.
- Since it is a common gambling theme, it is often depicted with other gambling symbols and elements. The design could include dice, triple sevens, an eight ball, dice, poker chips, cards, money, coins, gold, silver, or cherries. These are all common symbols in gambling-themed tattoo designs. The ace of spades may also be portrayed with symbols of good luck as well, such as the four-leaf clover, horseshoes, or swallows.
- The ace of spades is also associated with death, so it's not uncommon for it to be designed with fire, flames, and skulls alongside it. You may want to consider it with flames or flaming skulls, the joker, black rose, or a black heart.
- For a unique ace of spades, you could design it with Tribal art, Celtic art, or some other style you like.
Make sure that you take the time to view all the different ace of spades tattoo designs in this article. It will give you a general idea of what to expect when you begin planning your tattoo design of the ace of spades. Remember, use your imagination and get creative.
Remember that the ace of spades tattoo can represent both positive and negative attributes. Though, in the end, it really will only represent what you decide it does. Below, you'll find some different meanings this symbol is meant to embody:
- good luck
- good fortune
As you can see, there are a variety of meanings and associations, both good and bad. It's been a symbol of good luck for hundreds of years. More recently, the ace of spades has been a symbol of power, wealth, and death.
There are a few things that you should note before you get your ace of spades tattoo (or any tattoo for that matter.)
- Just as you're doing now, take the time to do research. You want to make sure that you're completely aware of what your tattoo represents and what it stands for. This article contains dozens of designs. So remember, don't choose the first design you like. Take the time and search through many other designs before you make a final decision. Remember, you're planning to wear this forever.
- Never rush to get inked! Men and women that rush to get inked usually have regrets about their tattoo later on down the road. Don't make this same mistake. Cover-ups and laser removal are possible, but it'll cost you more time and more money.
- The ace of spades tattoo is a great choice for both men and women. Not only does the ace of spades look good alone, but it can also be donned with hundreds of other symbols. This allows you the opportunity to personalize your design.
We appreciate your support and value your time. If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions, please feel free to share them below. We provide free tattoo information and advice to all visitors. Once again, thank you for your time and be sure to view our other articles. Thanks!
© 2013 Richard Ricky Hale